Wednesday, February 28, 2007

A Fine Line

The reason that I am reluctant to advocate stem cell research is that I am in doubt of the human ability to use this technology in a constructive manner. With my grandmother suffering from Alzheimer's Disease, I want to believe in the bright future of stem cells, but how can we ever be sure that this technology will always be used to cure illnesses? Can legislative restrictions or moral appeals check the improper use of stem cell technology? I want to say yes, but unfortunately history shows that often times the mankind's biggest enemy is no one but themselves. It seems to me that we are often too optimistic about the medical benefits of stem cells that we neglect to think about worse scenarios.

In midst of such uncertainty, allowing stem cell research on a legislative level is like crossing a river that we cannot go back. Since the potential of stem cells are limitless, scientists or investors will often be tempted to cross fine moral lines in order to make a progress in areas of technology that are not particularly beneficial to the mankind--in the worst case, harmful. And by then, it will be extremly hard to stop such deviations.

I do not oppose stem cell research; however, I do believe that as a pioneering generation of stem cell research we must understand our responsibility in establishing ethical guidelines simultaneously with the research itself.

No comments: